1. Use email marketing
- Set up a free account in Mailchimp, create newsletter template and set up a mailing list.
- Add subscription forms to your website. Create a page designed only for getting people to subscribe to your newsletter. The page will consist of the newsletter subscription form, a free give-away (something of value) and text that encourages people to subscribe.
- Use social media, blogs, articles, and online marketing to send people directly to your subscription page. E.g. For example, on your Twitter profile have a link to the page and some text saying, ‘why you need a virtual assistant, free report’ or something similar.
- Add all of your current clients to your mailing list.
- Send out a newsletter at least once a month with tips, special offers, useful articles and case studies illustrating the benefits of using your services.
2. Drive traffic to your website with these simple ideas
Write a blog once a week. Here’s how to find ideas to blog about:
- Look at the top ten people in your industry;
- Sign up to their RSS feed put it in your RSS reader.
- Follow them on Twitter.
- Use Google to find ‘Guest blogger services’ and then choose one to work with. Specify what you are looking for and get guest bloggers to post on your blog.
- Use WordPress plugins like Tweet old post; to automatically tweet your old posts.
- Four Essential Business Tips by Jim Byrne 1Jim Byrne & Associates
- Be a guest blogger
- Be a guest blogger for market leaders.
- Use http://www.bloggerlinkup.com to find people looking for bloggers or wanting to blog.
- Use http://www.copyscape.com to check that any articles written for you are original.
- Write longer articles for busy websites and link back to your own site.
- Use social media to get traffic
- Join http://uk.linkedin.com and add your profile in full. Spend some time connecting to anyone and everyone you already know on there. Write recommendations for others in your network and they will return the favour by recommending you, without you asking.
- Use Twitter and Facebook to create posts that link back to your website. In your profile text always link back to your marketing page and on that page write text that encourages visitors to sign up for your newsletter. Give away something free as an incentive.
3. Organise your business administration
- Get yourself organised so your admin isn’t getting in the way of your work. For example, find an invoicing application that is easy to use and that you are comfortable with so that your invoices are sent out quickly.
- If you don’t send out your invoices quickly you will find it more difficult to get paid.
- Set up a simple four box archive system for your accounts, i.e. Invoices, Receipts, Bank Statements, Miscellaneous. These are physical boxes not online folders.
- Use http://evernote.com to organise your tasks, to do list, passwords etc.
4. Get small things done cheaply
- Use services like http://www.fiverr.com and http://www.microworkers.com to get small jobs done. For example if you need a banner designed or want to get some content written for your site. Explore what other people are doing on these sites to get good ideas.
Good luck with your new business!